Sunday 5 October 2014

To My Thirteen Year Old Self


Two years ago when I turned 20 I wrote a letter to my 30 year old self. After those 10 years I could look back and see what I thought at 20 and what my younger self wanted to know from my 30 year old self. (which I'm debating whether or not to put up after this post some time?) Recently I came across this letter and it got me thinking, what would have want to have told my younger self? I know this has been done lots before, but my blog is not only a space online to talk to other people, but to document things for myself. So that is what I'm going to do now. 

Why to my 13 year old self and not older? I just turned 13 a few weeks after starting secondary school, my granddad died that summer and I feel this is the time that I went from being a child to more of an adult. The silly things I did, the people I met and the unstoppable 'life' things that happened that I had no control over. This is what I would say to a younger me now.

  • Take home ec. You can barely cook toast, even by 22.
  • Darling you are still a little girl, you deserve to stay that way for longer.
  • Those cool kids who bully you? Yeah, it will last all though school. But I promise it actually does get better.
  • You don't have people forever, have more time for them.
  • Your going to make some of your best friends in the next few years who will be by your side for years to come. Get excited!
  • Its really ok to stay at home on the weekend. Parties will still be there long into your 20s and even after.
  • Don't dye your hair. Oh god, please don't.
  • Fighting and being aggressive will only leave you hurt. 
  • This black eyeliner that you've discovered is really cool, I know. But please don't line your eyes so heavily with it. Emo is never ever a good look.
  • Try to listen in class and do your work. Please, school is actually really important.
  • That oversized blue jumper you got when you were 15? Don't throw it out!
  • Buy as many of those tuck shop strawberries as you can. After you leave school you'll never be able to find that kind again. Which is really sad, but leaves you less hyper too.
  • You briefly find religion at about 15, don't worry it doesn't last long.
  • People will let you down and can be horrible, but honey stay strong. You have so much love to give yet.
  • White Musk from the body shop is great, but you wear it for years. Try something different.
  • I am so proud of you for never touching drugs, keep going the right way.
  • Enjoy compliments! Stop brushing them off as nothing, they are good.
  • Keep hold of your ancient Nokia, you will break countless phones over the years!
  • Spellings? Don't sweat it, everything has auto correct now.
  • Don't try to fit in or be someone your not. Its ok to be totally mad and people will still love you.
  • Keep to the 'boys', the 'men' can come when your much older.
  • Don't wear high heels. You could never walk in them and you'll brake your ankles numinous times in the next few years.
  • You are still going to be as confused with what career you want when your 22 as when you were 13, so don't panic. You have years to do that!
  • Try to be as independent as you can.
  • Its ok to watch cartoons, read comics and generally do things that are thought of as 'being a baby' when your in secondary school. In a few years guys think its ok (and even hot!)
  • Don't judge your appearance too harshly, remember you are changing all the time.


What would you have said to your 13 year old self?

No comments:

Post a Comment